Monday, August 29, 2011

A Tribute to George William Hummel, 1921-2011

Another generation begins its passing into history.

Today I attended the funeral service of my dad's cousin, George William "Cousin Georgie" Hummel. Georgie was the oldest of my dad's generation of the descendants of Jacob Hummel, though his son Daniel.

George was born September 14, 1921, and died August 20, 2011.

I finally got to meet him in January this year. At that time I shared with him what I have learned about our ancestors, and gave him a folder with some brief information on the preceding Hummels. His daughter told me today that he was very thankful for the knowledge, and spoke of it often.

I learned from him that when his father left his mother when he was young, my grandfather, Monroe Hummel, became a father figure to him. He died 24 years -to the day- of my Pop-Pop's death.

His obituary is as follows:

George William Hummel, age 89 of Douglassville PA, died on Saturday August 20, 2011, at the Keystone Villa at Douglassville, Amity Twp., PA. He was the husband of the late Eleanor (Zeleski) Hummel, who died in March of 2011.

Born in Reading, PA, he was the son of the late Wayne and Mary (Stewart) Hummel.

Mr. Hummel was an Army Veteran serving his country during World War II. He worked for the Dana Corp. as a machinist for 37 years.

He enjoyed archery, hunting, fishing, and snowmobiling.

Survivors include two daughters: Jo-Ann, wife of Stephen Pronchick of Douglassville, PA; Barbara Ann Gable of East Greenville, PA; five grandchildren, and five great grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment