Friday, November 19, 2010

It's Been A While

Due to other commitments, it has been some time since I have been able to do any further research.

On a recent visit, however, to the Berks County Genealogical Society, I was able to dig up a few more nuggets of information:

1. Jacob Hummel's wife was not named Maria Elizabeth Herbine, as recorded in the Robeson Lutheran Church Records. Her name was Maria Elizabeth Hertz. I was able to ascertain her correct maiden name through 2 coroborating records:

a. The marriage record from Rev. William Boos, a German Reformed itinerant preacher at the time, showing Maria Elizabeth Hertz marrying Jacob Hummel of Robeson Township.

b. Abstract of the Will of David Hertz, directing a portion of inheritance to his daughter, Eliabeth, wife of Jacob Hummel.

2. I was also able to ascertain, through another old Robeson Township map, that I am correct on Jacob's homestead location. Though his name is missing, based on the fact that it was re-urveyed in 1798, when Jacob Hummel was 20, and not surveyed until 1867, while his estate was being settled, I believe he bough the land at 20. I still don't know where he came from, tough. I am communicating with a member of the Tri County Heritage Center to see if there is are any pictures of the home, I believe that became known as the "old Printz residence."

I still need to, one of these days, head to the Berks County Courthouse to see if the sale record is actually there. I'm running out of leads at the moment, as to his origins.

No comments:

Post a Comment