Sunday, July 18, 2010

Next To-Do: More Jacob Hummel Research

It is becoming more likely, as I research, that my ancestor Jacob Hummel is the one who brought his small family to America on the Fair American, and that his father and mother, as I have them listed, never left Germany or Switzerland.

According to Census records, there was a Michael Hummel in Manheim Township, in formerly Berks but now Schuylkill County, in the 1800 Census, but he was the only person in his household. He was the only Michael Hummel in Pennsylvania. It is possible they came east from Ohio, but in that era, I would think it unlikely.

There are several Jacob Hummel families, one of which was in Manheim Township in 1810, but at first glance I don't think the age groups match the ages of his family members. So next I need to make a spreadsheet, listing all his family members, and their ages at 1800, 1810, and 1820, and match them to the census records.

After that, I'd like to head back to the Berks Genealogical Society and search for the birth records of the children. Hopefully, I will find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment