Monday, July 26, 2010

Life Gets in the Way

It has been a while since I have been able to do any research, and may be a little while longer. Sports seasons for my sons are upon us, so research periods may become fewer and further between.

In the last week I have verified the date of birth of Jacob Hummel's daughter Sarah and have found some other Jacob Hummel's who may fit what I know about my ancestor: notably, a departure record for a Jacob Hummel with wife and children, from 1817. My ancestor Jacob's first appearance in Plow Church records is in 1819. I need to find the book, The Swiss Emigration Book, Volumn 1, by Cornelia Schrader-Muggenthaler. The Berks Genealogical Society does not have a copy.

Although, this particular record may be a wild goose chase. I have been told that Isaac Hummel, another of Jacob's sons, was born in Brecknock Township, March 21, 1814. If that's true, there may be Hummel records from Brecknock Township churches. I will search there next, as soon as I can get back to the Genealogical Society.

I also need to pay a visit to the Berks County Historical Society, one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment